The CLAS Mellon Research Travel Fellowship supports outstanding doctoral students in the Social Sciences Division who need to conduct research or fieldwork in Latin America at any stage of their doctoral program.
SSD students who apply for Tinker Field Research Grants to support pre-dissertation research will automatically be considered for the CLAS Mellon Research Travel Fellowship if overall demand for funding exceeds our capacity to fund Tinker applications.
This program is funded with the generous support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- University of Chicago doctoral students in the Social Sciences Division (Anthropology, Comparative Human Development, Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science, Economics, History, Political Science, Psychology, Social Thought, Sociology) are eligible to apply.
- Students may apply at any stage of their doctoral program, but can receive funding no more than once before defending their proposal and no more than once after defending the proposal.
- Any dissertation topic that has Latin America as its central focus will be considered.
Duration of the Grant
- Students may propose research for periods of 2 weeks to 3 months.
Fellowship funds are intended to support transportation, living costs, and research expenses for the duration of a fellow's proposed trip abroad.
The following materials must be submitted via the online application.
- Application Form
- Two-page curriculum vitae
- Proposed budget
- Research proposal narrative (not to exceed 2 single-spaced pages). The proposal should briefly explain the purpose and significance of the proposed research project, detail the proposed research plan, describe the candidate’s preparedness for the research, provide local contacts who will facilitate this work in-country, and specify the proposed length of the trip.
- Current transcript (please download from my.uchicago.edu)
- A letter of recommendation from the dissertation chair or faculty adviser
Terms and Conditions
CLAS Mellon Research Travel awardees shall:
- Devote their time in-country to full-time research on the approved topic
- Remain in good academic standing
- Submit a 1–2-page summary of the outcomes of the research upon completion of travel
- Acknowledge support of the CLAS Mellon Research Travel Fellowship in the dissertation and/or any research publications that may result from this grant