MA | Financing a degree



The cost of attendance (COA) estimate below is based on full-time enrollment in a 9-month master’s program and consists of tuition and fees for the 2017–2018 academic year. For planning purposes, you should estimate at least a 3–7% tuition and fee increase for each subsequent academic year. Please visit the Bursar's website for more information.

Cost of attendance for 2017–2018 MA (9-month)

Tuition $55,836
Student Life Fee $1,173
Health Insurance (17-18) $3,921
Subtotal $60,930

Books and Supplies $1,000
Living expenses $19,347
Total: $81,277

A one-time, lifetime transcript fee of $60 is assessed in full (to new students) in the Autumn Quarter billing. This figure is not added in the total COA above.

NOTE: Health-insurance coverage is mandatory for all registered students. 


On the Office of the Bursar website, you will find detailed information regarding billing dates and payments, electronic billing, agency billing, tuition payment plans, and required fees.


Admitted students may need to apply for loans (private or federally supported) and/or the federal work-study program to cover any tuition and living expenses not covered by a University award. If you need to subsidize your graduate studies through loans and/or work-study, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for student loans through the University's Student Loan Administration. When submitting the FAFSA, be sure to fill out the form that corresponds to the year in which you plan to matriculate. The FAFSA should be filed with the Federal Student Aid Information Center by May 1. The University’s code is E00377. Visit the Student Loan Administration to download loan forms and to search the frequently asked questions. Students admitted for the Autumn Quarter who wish to be considered for a student loan should submit a loan application to the SLA office by the May 31 priority deadline; notifications concerning loan approval are sent out in the summer. SLA also determines eligibility for the Work-Study program, but job assignments cannot be made until the student is on campus.


Some international students may qualify for student loans in the United States, although international students are also encouraged to research loans available in their home countries.  The Student Loan Administration provides information about loans available to international students. Please note that some of these loans may require a co-signer in the United States.

In addition, the Office of International Affairs keeps an up-to-date list of scholarships and funding opportunities to which international students may apply. Please find the complete list here.

Field funding.png

Each year CLAS offers students the opportunity to apply for a CLAS Tinker Field Research Grant to support summer field research in Spanish-and Porutuguese-speaking Latin America (excluding Puerto Rico). Find more information about the grant here.


  • Prospective students are encouraged to apply for funding opportunities concurrent with their admissions application. More information is available here.
  • In addition, there are a variety of fellowships for which UChicago graduate students routinely apply with success. More information about these fellowships is available here.


Contact Student Affairs Coordinator Jamie Gentry
773.702.8420 |